Wednesday 8 December 2010

Hello! wedding? Try Malawi style.

In Malawi, there's not a lot in the way of celebrity based literature. Needless to say, the impending nuptial of 'our' Prince and Kate Middleton passed me by.....


Okay, so they both seem nice. Hello! magazine (sittingly smugly on the dining table) can't help to shove that into my face upon my return. Never have I felt more distanced from aristocratic wedding ceremonies however. In Malawian weddings, the happy couple sit there as their friends, relatives and other hapless visitors who've managed to slip in gve money to a wicker basket while dancing round it in a circle. Nobody understands what is going on. The whole process takes the best part of a day, but all in the name of setting up the newly weds in their new home.

Call me cynical, I am, but the photos in Hello! magazine suggest Prince William and Kate Middleton need no assisstance in setting up their home. I'd hazard a guess that they've already got five. Still, they've earned it.....

This does not bother me exceptionally. They're better natured people than I am and have done far more for the world. Something niggles though. Talking about the first time she met his family. The first time he met her family (or serfs). His proposal to Kate on holiday in Kenya. "As any guy will know, it takes a certain amount of motivation to get yourself going." As any guy will know? Yeah, Prince, I'm 'any' guy, just like you.

Maybe it's just jealousy at seeing successful people happy. Yeah, bitter jealousy. Bitter, bitter jealousy.

No comments:

Post a Comment